When you're injured in an auto accident, you don't just have pain -- you also have questions. Here are some helpful answers from our nearby car accident chiropractor in New Albany, IN at 1st Choice Health & Wellness.
- How fast do I have to be moving to sustain an injury? Strangely enough, an automotive impact can cause injuries even when the vehicles involved are moving at a mere 5 miles per hour.
- If I feel all right after the accident, does that mean I escaped injury? Never assume that all is well without getting a musculoskeletal examination. The adrenalin rush that follows an accident can actually mask your injuries for days or even weeks afterward.
- Why is it so critical that seek treatment for my injuries as soon as possible? Your body will try to heal your injuries even if misalignment and other problems make normal healing impossible. This can result in abnormal scar tissue formation that makes your pain and stiffness even worse.
- What happens in a case of whiplash? In whiplash, an impact or sudden stop fling your head backward and forward violently. This dislocates vertebral joints, herniates discs, pinched nerves, and tears neck muscles. If you suspect whiplash, our whiplash doctor is here to evaluate you and tailor a plan specifically for you.
- How did I strain my mid-back? Your seat harness probably restrains only one shoulder, leaving the other free to fly forward in an impact. The body then twists beyond its normal range of motion, damaging the soft tissues and vertebral joints of the mid-back or thoracic spine.
- Why am I experiencing leg symptoms? An auto impact that throws your lumbar spine out of alignment may cause compression of the sciatic nerve. Since this nerve provides all signaling to the leg, you end up with leg pain and other odd sensations.
- How does chiropractic care address auto accident injuries? Skilled chiropractic adjustments can reposition musculoskeletal structures that have been forced out of alignment in an auto accident. Normalizing these positions relieves nerve compression and lets the joints function properly again.
- What non-chiropractic therapies enhance my healing and pain relief? We frequently pair chiropractic adjustment with other supportive techniques. You may benefit from acupuncture for natural pain relief, nutritional advice such as anti-inflammatory food choices, and physical therapy to help you regain your former flexibility and strength.
What To Expect During Your Car Crash Treatment Appointment
It’s important to see a doctor after any auto accident. You may have experienced an auto accident injury and not even know it—many injuries take hours or days to show symptoms. Our chiropractors and physical therapy team at 1st Choice in New Albany, IN is here to help. Here’s what you can expect during your first visit with us.
First, we'll ask you about your accident. It will be important to hear the sequence in which things happened and know everything that happened to you during the accident--even if it seems minor. We'll also want to know your general health history. This will help us come up with a therapy program unique to you.
Next, we'll want to know about your symptoms. While the focus will be on symptoms you’ve experienced since your accident, feel free to tell us any symptoms you experienced before the accident. Your auto accident injuries may tie into any previous conditions.
After we’ve talked about your accident and history, we'll perform an exam and take x-rays if needed. The exam is designed to measure your range of motion and detect the source of your symptoms. Sometimes the source is fairly obvious. Other times, the source of your symptoms may be located elsewhere on your body (headaches caused by tense neck muscles or leg pain caused by a problem in the spine, for example).
Finally, you'll either receive initial treatment for your auto accident injury or schedule a follow-up visit with us. We usually try and provide initial treatment the very same day, especially if you are experiencing pain.
Call 1st Choice Health & Wellness in New Albany, IN Today!
Any injury can get worse if left untreated. This is especially true with auto injuries, which often involve violent physical trauma. If you live in the New Albany, IN area and are in need of help for your auto accident injury, call 1st Choice Health & Wellness at 812-945-4500.